Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Authority


After Jesus preached the Sermon on the Mount...
"When Jesus had finished these words, the crowds were amazed at His teaching; for He was teaching them as one having authority, and not as their scribes." (Matthew 7:28)

Jesus didn't just teach well. The scribes could do that. It wasn't just a good sermon. They had heard plenty of those. The people were amazed because Jesus had authority.

And shortly thereafter...
"And when Jesus entered Capernaum, a centurion came to Him, imploring Him, and saying, 'Lord, my servant is lying paralyzed at home, fearfully tormented.' Jesus said to him, 'I will come and heal him.' But the centurion said, 'Lord, I am not worthy for You to come under my roof, but just say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I also am a man under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to this one, "Go!" and he goes, and to another, "Come!" and he comes, and to my slave, "Do this!" and he does it.' Now when Jesus heard this, He marveled and said to those who were following, 'Truly I say to you, I have not found such great faith with anyone in Israel. I say to you that many will come from east and west, and recline at the table with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven;  but the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.' And Jesus said to the centurion, 'Go; it shall be done for you as you have believed.' And the servant was healed that very moment." (Matthew 8:5-13)

Jesus affirmed the man because the man recognized completely the authority that Jesus had to heal the servant. Sickness (and everything else) submits to the authority of Jesus Christ.

So how does this affect us?

Following His crucifixion and resurrection...
"And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, 'All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.'” (Matthew 28:18-20)

We have been commissioned by the authority of Jesus Christ Himself. And how much authority does Jesus have? ALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment