Friday, April 22, 2011

It Could've Been Me

Today is Good Friday, which means, Christians around the world are thinking about the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. This morning I've been thinking specifically about some of the "bad guys" in the story of Christ's death; Pilate, Herod, Barabbas, Peter, the religious leaders, the crowd, the Roman soldiers and Judas. As I thought about them, my emotions ranged from anger to pity, from questioning to understanding. You see, it dawned on me that any of these could've been me. Like Pilate, there have been times that I've recognized Jesus, had an opportunity to stand up for Him, and yet lacked the guts to do it. Like Herod, there have been times when I couldn't care less about Christ. Sure, I would've said I did, but my actions showed something entirely different. I've thrown out lip service, all the while knowing it was only a disgusting, purple robe. Like Barabbas, every time I've faced punishment for disobedience and failure in my life, I've looked up to find Jesus stepping in to take my place. Like Peter, the thing I said I would never do is the very thing I've embraced, and the thing that I committed to always do, has ended in an empty promise. Like the religious leaders, I have mocked the very God I claimed to be following. Like the crowd and Roman soldiers, I have blindly, yet with evidence of the truth, participated in the humiliation of the Son of God. And like Judas, I have with one side of my mouth said that Jesus is the Christ, and with the other kissed Him in betrayal. These could've been me. In fact, these all represent me. I am a liar, a deceiver, a cheater, a mocker, a criminal, a chicken, a betrayer, and a skeptic. I am nothing without Jesus Christ Who died in my place.

No comments:

Post a Comment