Thursday, September 6, 2012

Standing on the Promises

Many of us grew up singing the hymn "Standing on the Promises." The minister of music in the church where I grew up (who also happened to be my dad) was an 'every stanza' kind of guy. I remember singing four verses and a refrain. Looking back in the hymnal that we used (the Baptist Hymnal, of course), that's how many verses there were, four. Recently, however, I discovered that there are actually five verses to this hymn. The third stanza was not included in the Baptist Hymnal. Having read it now, I'm a little sad that it wasn't. It says...
Standing on the promises, I now can see perfect, present cleansing in the blood for me; Standing in the liberty where Christ makes free, standing on the promises of God.
"For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us." (2 Corinthians 1:20 KJV, italics mine)

"If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed." (John 8:36 KJV)

Praise the Lord! I think we'll sing it this Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment